Monday 17 September 2007

An American Mother

My mum only had one eye. I hated her… She was such an embarrassment.

She cooked for students and teachers to support the family. There was this day during elementary school where my mum came and say hello to me. I was so embarrassed. How could she do that to me? I ignored her, threw her a hateful look and ran out.

The next day, one of my classmates said “EEE, your mum only had one eye!”

I was so embarrassed. I wanted to bury myself so as no one will laugh at me again. I also wanted my mother to disappear.

So I confronted her one day and said “If you’re gonna make me a laughing stock, why don’t you just die?!”

My mum did not respond.

I was oblivious to her feelings as I was filled with anger. I wanted to have nothing got to do with her. So I studied real hard and got myself a chance to study in Singapore.

After graduating, I got married, bought myself a house and had kids. I was satisfied with my life, kids and the comfort.

Then one day, my mother came to visit me. She had not seen me for years and did not know I have kids. When she stood by the door, my children laughed at her and I yelled at her for coming over uninvited. I screamed at her, “How dare you come over and scare my children. Get out of here NOW!”

My mother quietly answered, “Oh, I’m so sorry. I may have gotten the wrong address.” and she disappeared out of sight.

One day, a letter regarding school reunion was sent to my house in Singapore, so I lied to my wife that I have to go on a business trip. After the reunion, I went to the old shack that I had stayed out of curiosity.

My neighbours said that she died. I did not shed a single tear. They handed me a letter that she wanted me to have.

"My dearest son,

I think of you all the time so I came to Singapore to visit you. I am sorry that I scared your children. I was glad to hear you coming for the reunion but I may not be able to get out of the bed to see you. I am sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you during the years when you were growing up. You see, I have got no choice. When you were young, you got into an accident and lost your eye. As a mother, I could not stand watching you growing up with one eye. So I gave you mine. I was so proud of my son who is seeing a whole new world, in my place, with that eye.

With my love to you,
Your Mother."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

母爱的伟大不是应该的、不是理所当然的、更不是必然的,却是她无条件为了她疼爱的孩子而奉献的。

我们是否也会瞧不起自己的父母?“唉哟,为什么我父母不是有钱人?”;“为什么我的爸爸不是大老板?”;“为什么我的父母长得这样丢人现眼?”;等。有没有想过,我们的身体发肤是授之父母,他们把我们养大、教育我们、尽力让我们的衣食住行不成问题,可是我们却觉得他们最碍眼、最讨厌。如果不是他们,我们有可能在这世上吗?像这文章中的母亲,她为了不让幼小的儿子承受将来可能被朋友讥笑而将自己的眼睛捐给了他,可是不知情的儿子却以母亲为耻。

这,就是身为孩子该做的吗?

无论我们知不知道父母为了我们付出了些什么(其实并不重要),但是我们只要感恩他们、孝顺他们,就是最好的了。因为他们并不要求任何回报。好好的照顾自己,让自己和家人快乐、和睦共处就是让他们安心、欣慰的最好方式了。

^_^g

No comments: